How to Transfer Money from Robinhood to Fidelity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Transfer Money from Robinhood to Fidelity

Transferring your investments from one brokerage to another can seem daunting, but it can offer numerous benefits. This guide will help you understand the process of transferring money from Robinhood to Fidelity, the advantages of making this move, and what to expect during the transition.
    Why Transfer from Robinhood to Fidelity?
    Many investors choose to transfer their accounts from Robinhood to Fidelity for various reasons, including broader investment options, more robust research tools, and better customer service. Understanding why you might want to make the switch is crucial for making an informed decision.
    What Are the Advantages of Fidelity Over Robinhood?
    Fidelity offers several advantages over Robinhood, including:
    • Comprehensive Research Tools: Fidelity provides extensive research and analysis tools that can help you make more informed investment decisions.
    • Wide Range of Investment Options: With Fidelity, you have access to a broader array of investment products, including mutual funds, bonds, and international stocks.
    • Superior Customer Support: Fidelity is known for its exceptional customer service, offering support through various channels, including phone, chat, and in-person consultations.
    • Educational Resources: Fidelity offers a wealth of educational materials and resources to help you grow as an investor.
    Steps to Transfer Robinhood to Fidelity
    1. Open a Fidelity Account: If you don't already have one, you'll need to open a Fidelity brokerage account.
    2. Gather Account Information: Have your Robinhood account details handy, including your account number and any necessary login information.
    3. Initiate the Transfer: Log into your Fidelity account and navigate to the account transfer section. Follow the prompts to initiate a transfer from Robinhood.
    4. Provide Required Information: Complete the transfer form by providing the required information about your Robinhood account.
    5. Submit the Transfer Request: Review the information for accuracy and submit the transfer request.
    What Happens to My Stocks During the Transfer?
    During the transfer process, your stocks will typically be moved in-kind, meaning you retain ownership of your shares without having to sell them.
    Will I Keep My Stock Positions?
    Yes, your stock positions will remain intact. You will maintain the same number of shares and the same stock positions during and after the transfer.
    Will My Stocks Be Sold During the Transfer?
    No, your stocks will not be sold during the transfer. They will be transferred as-is from Robinhood to Fidelity.
    How Long Does the Transfer Process Take?
    The transfer process usually takes between 5-7 business days. However, it can vary depending on the specifics of your accounts and the efficiency of the two brokerages involved.
    Are There Any Fees for Transferring from Robinhood to Fidelity?
    Robinhood charges a $75 fee for transferring your account to another brokerage. Fidelity does not charge a fee to receive the transferred account.
    What Happens to My Robinhood Account After the Transfer?
    After the transfer is complete, your Robinhood account may remain open, but it will no longer hold any securities if you transfer your entire account. You can choose to close your Robinhood account or keep it open for future use.
    Can I Transfer Partially from Robinhood to Fidelity?
    Yes, you can opt for a partial transfer if you do not wish to move all your assets from Robinhood to Fidelity. Specify which assets you want to transfer during the initiation process.
    What Happens if I Have a Margin Account on Robinhood?
    If you have a margin account on Robinhood, you can still transfer to Fidelity. Ensure that your margin balance is settled, as outstanding balances may complicate the transfer.
    What to Do after the Transfer is Complete?
    Once the transfer is complete, review your Fidelity account to ensure all assets have been correctly transferred. Update any automatic investments or transfers that were set up on Robinhood to ensure they are properly configured on Fidelity.
    Conclusion
    Transfer your investments from Robinhood to Fidelity can provide you with enhanced tools, better customer service, and more investment options. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can ensure a smooth transition and take advantage of everything Fidelity has to offer.
    FAQs
    1. How do I start the transfer from Robinhood to Fidelity?
    Begin by opening a Fidelity account, then use Fidelity's transfer tool to initiate the move from Robinhood.

2. How long does it take to transfer my account from Robinhood to Fidelity?
    The process typically takes 5-7 business days.

3. Will I lose my stocks during the transfer from Robinhood to Fidelity?
    No, your stocks will be transferred in-kind, meaning you will keep your existing positions.

4. Are there any fees associated with transferring from Robinhood to Fidelity?
    Robinhood charges a $75 transfer fee, while Fidelity does not charge any fees to receive the transfer.

5. Can I transfer only part of my Robinhood account to Fidelity?
    Yes, you can choose a partial transfer and specify which assets to move.

6. What happens to my margin account when transferring from Robinhood to Fidelity?
    Ensure any margin balances are settled before initiating the transfer to avoid complications.

Working...
X